Redstarts are mainly found in the north & west of the UK, with the highest numbers found in Wales. Can be seen between April & September. They are a widespread summer visitor.
- Similar to the female but speckled.
- In the summer the male has a dove grey crown and back and wings of brown. A black face and white eyebrows. Its underparts are orange - red as is it tail
- The female also has an orange - red tail but is buffy brown on its back, darker brown wings and a buffy under belly.
- 13.5 - 14.5 cms
- Black, medium in length, short & pointed
- Black, medium in length
- Woods, heaths, parks, streams, coastal scrub. Spends a lot of its time at ground level.
- Flits, perches openly, hops, takes off & lands from vegetation or the ground.
- Direct, flittering
- Hooeet, brief warble.
Breeding & Feeding
- Banks, tree roots or tree holes.
- 6 - 7 pale blue
- Incubation Period
- 11 - 14 days
- 2; May - June
- Mainly insects but also spiders, worms & berries
- UK Breeding Pairs
- 90,000 - 330,000