The Greenfinch is a truly colourful character and one of the largest & commonest of the finches. Its widespread throughout the UK.
- A chunky, thick - set finch with a white bill. The male has a green back, yellow under parts, grey wings with a yellow wing edge, black medium lengthened tail with yellow side feathers.
- The female Greenfinch is paler and browner.
- White, short & stubby
- Pink, medium in length
- The Greenfinch is a common countryside bird, found in woods, hedges, orchards, farmland and a popular garden visitor.
- Flits, perches openly, hops, takes off & lands from vegetation or the ground.
- Nnasal skeer, chup-chup flight call. Twittering, wheezing song.
Breeding & Feeding
- In Bushes
- Lays 4-5 eggs, pale blue spotted black.
- Incubation Period
- 12 - 14 days
- 2 - 3; April - May
- Seeds, berries, peanuts & pine nuts.
- UK Breeding Pairs