A spectacular colourful gamebird that’s quite a rare find in the wild. Found in England, Scotland and Wales.
- Male is very brightly coloured with a yellow crown and lower back, dark wings and upper neck, red underparts and long finely barred tail.
- Female is paler brown than a female pheasant.
- 90 - 105 cms two thirds of this size made up by the tail
- Found in forestry plantations and dense woodland.
- Roost in trees at night. May be found early in the morning in clearings or in the undergrowth.
- Male metallic call in breeding season
Breeding & Feeding
- 8 to 12 eggs
- Incubation Period
- 22 - 23 days
- Berries, grubs, seeds, leaves & buds
- UK Breeding Pairs